Jun 21, 2010

ENLIGHTENMENT - I know all about flowering Tea Balls...NOW!

OK, my hand is up – I am an ignorant person! I really thought I knew a whole lot about tea, especially of the Chinese variety but I obviously don’t!

Yesterday I went to the Southbank Lifestyle markets in Brisbane and for the first time there was a stall selling Flower Tea Balls. Well, I was pretty excited to see this sort of stall in the city market – a market where mostly crafts and fashion is displayed for sale. So I chatted with one of the chaps manning the stall and mentioned how excited I was to see the teaball and how it reminded me of my visit to China etc etc.

Well, after this lovely surprise, I picked up a flyer from the stall and read about the ‘handmade flowering tea balls’. My internal response was “WHAT? HANDMADE?”

Up until this point I had thought the flowering tea ball was just a single flower which uncurled itself to make a lovely display once placed in hot water. HOW WRONG I WAS/AM!

I will just say that I think my ignorance must have been as a result of the many Chinese people in the markets in Shanghai trying to explain to me how the teas ‘work’ and I think it has somehow been lost in translation.. Well that’s my theory and I am sticking to it!

A flowering tea, or blooming tea (Chinese: 香片, 工艺茶, or 开花茶), is a small bundle of dried tea leaves and flowers bound together with cotton thread into a ball. When steeped, the bundle expands and unfurls in a process that emulates a blooming flower. The teas are generally mild and take a few minutes to begin to impart their flavor to the glass. Typically they are sourced from the Yunnan province of China. Flowers commonly used in flowering teas include globe amaranth, chrysanthemum, jasmine, lily, hibiscus, and osmanthus.
It remains uncertain whether flowering tea is a relatively recent, or much older, invention.
Flowering teas are often prepared in a transparent vessel for easy viewing. They can be refreshed several times by adding more water as needed, from 5 to 15 times depending on the variety. Flowering teas are fragrant, aromatic teas that do not tend to get bitter with extended steeping.

Of course one of the first things I did upon returning home was in depth research about the flowering tea ball and what it is and how it is made. I went back to my previous post and realised that I hadn’t actually read my research carefully enough! OK – Mia culpa!
So, how excited am I to realise that some very clever artisans in China and probably other Asian countries, developed this amazing ability to select just the right flowers and plants to make a brilliant display inside a glass container of hot water? I am even more excited about this tea now that I know how it is made.
I have included 2 ways for you to make your own flowering ball tea. Give it a go if you wish, if not, go to your local exotic tea shoppe and buy some flowering ball tea and enjoy both the flowering display and the amazing flavours!
















Artisian Flower Balls
These delicate flower balls are made from the finest green and white teas. The tea leaves are flattened and sewn with cotton thread and shaped into a ball and then dried.
Each handmade ball is individually packed to ensure optimum freshness in each cup.
When steeped in hot water the tea balls blossom into beautiful tea flowers. We recommend using a glass tea pot in order to feel the ultimate tea experience.
Each ball serves at least 10-15cups. With its unique visual effects, its an ideal after dinner drink to put on the table.
A sample of how these beautiful flower teas open up, can be viewed by: clicking here 

How to Make Your Own Flowering Tea Balls (or Blooming Tea Balls)
I really would like to make my own flowering tea ball or blooming tea bud, but finding the instructions for such as thing is much like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
The only information I’ve found that gives me any clear instructions is on www.gardenguides.com. (Please note I have no connection to that site). Everyone else just describes the brewing process. I think I may just have to go to China to find out more about this but in the meantime I will give the  instructions a try.
If you feel like doing one yourself, this is how the process is described. It takes the artisans one to ten minutes to make a single ball. I’m thinking it may just take me a bit longer and more trial and error than one to ten minutes!
Here are the steps:
1. Collect edible flowers which can include herbs or many common garden flowers, making sure you keep some of the stem on the flowers. (Or maybe you can use flowers tea and cheat a little? Not sure about this but will need to check it out.)
2. Purchase fresh green tea leaves, place them between pieces of waxed or baking paper and flatten them under a weight (like a couple of books).
3. Using a very sharp knife, slice the tea leaves into ¼ inch strips lengthwise, cutting to the stems only so the leaves remain connected to the stems. Lay out the cut leaves in a wagon wheel pattern and place the flowers or flower petals in the middle, making sure to include their stems with the stems of the tea leaves.
4. With needle and thread (which will be visible, so get a good colour), gather the bundle of leaves and flowers and se through the stems. Wind the thread around the base of the bundle to hold everything securely.
5. Shape the bundle into a ball by squeezing and rolling it. Have patience with this as it is important to the blooming effect.
6. Dry the ball in a very gentle heated oven for 20-30 minutes – nothing more than 170 degree F, or as low as you can set your oven.
7. Store in dry, warm, ventilated place for a week to make sure it is properly dried.
When you're ready, brew the tea in the usual way by immersing in hot water.
Now, if you have some doubts about this working out properly the first few times, I suggest using good quality tea so you can at least drink it!!! Maybe just a sprinkle of loose green tea leaves or jasmine green tea in the middle may make this more drinkable.
I would be really interested to know if anyone has any experience in making flowering tea balls or if you have any hints about the process. In the meantime, I’ll have to get cracking in trying this myself. The first challenge will be finding the fresh tea leaves …

How to Make a Blossom Flower Tea Ball

Overview
Take advantage of many edible flowers by creating a blossom flower tea ball. The blossom flower tea ball includes tea leaves and flowers tied into a ball that opens when you brew it, resulting in an artistic creation that looks like a flower in bloom. Appropriate flowers include jasmines, lilies, carnations, marigolds and chrysanthemums. If you have an herb garden, then use the flowers of scented basils, rosemary and other herbs. Blossom flower tea balls make good gifts and can last for as long as three years if stored in a cool, dry place.
Step 1
Collect edible flowers, which can include herbs, fuchsias, guavas and many others. Sew them together into a ball while they are fresh.
Step 2
Gather or purchase fresh green tea leaves. Flatten them by placing them underneath a book between two sheets of waxed paper. Leave them for only about one hour because you need fresh, damp leaves for your flower blossom tea ball.
Step 3
Slice the tea leaves into ¼-inch strips lengthwise by using a sharp knife. Cut only to the leaves' stems so the leaves remain connected to their stems. Lay the tea leaves on a flat surface in a wagon wheel pattern, and then place the edible flowers in the center, making sure to include their stems with the stems of the tea leaves.
Step 4
Thread your needle with the cotton thread, then gather your tea and flower bundle by the stems. Sew through all of the stems, going around the perimeter of the stem bundle. Make sure to sew through the bundle to include all of the flower stems that are inside.
Step 5
Form your bundle into a ball by squeezing and rolling it. Dry it in an oven at 170 degrees F, or as low as you can set your oven for 20 to 30 minutes. Store in a warm, dry, well-ventilated area for one week to ensure that your tea ball is thoroughly dried. Or, you can use it immediately to make tea.
Step 6
Brew blossom flower tea by placing your tea ball into a glass mug or cup. Boil filtered water and pour it over the tea ball. Allow it to steep for three to five minutes without stirring it, then enjoy it with sugar or honey if you wish.
Things You'll Need
Black or green tea leaves
• Edible flowers
• Large book
• Waxed paper
• Cotton thread
• Needle
• Glass cups or teapot

No comments:

Post a Comment