Jul 8, 2010

Tea Poetry

Snow Water by Michael Longley

A fastidious brewer of tea, a tea
Connoisseur as well as a poet,
I modestly request on my sixtieth
Birthday a gift of snow water.

Tea steam and ink stains. Single-
Mindedly I scald my teapot and
Measure out some Silver Needles Tea,
Enough for a second steeping.


Other favourites include Clear
Distance and Eyebrows of Longevity
Or, from the precarious mountain peaks,
Cloud Mist Tea (quite delectable)


Which competent monkeys harvest
Filling their baskets with choice leaves
and bringing them down to where I wait
With my crock of snow water.

A Tea Song
Dan Chiu was an Immortal
Who cared nothing for rich foods.
But, after picking some tea & drinking it,
he sprouted wings,


And flew to the Abode of The Immortals,
To escape life's emptiness.
Now he lives among the clouds
In a palace unknown to humans.


His tea is brewed in a golden teapot
By a young immortal who lives
Upon a peak amidst the clouds.
How worthless is LuYu's Classic of Tea
When compared to this!
Chio Jen (Tang Dynasty)




LuYu Visits a
Tea Water Well
On a cold winter night
A friend dropped by.
We did not drink wine
But instead drank tea.
The kettle bubbled,
The coals glowed,
The bright moon shone
Outside my window.
The moon itself
Was nothing special -
But, oh, the plum-tree blossoms!
Tu Hsiao Shan
(Song Dynasty)


A friend presented me
With tender leaves of Oolong tea,
For which I chose a kettle
Of ivory-mounted gold,
A mixing-bowl of snow-white earth.
With its clear bright froth and fragrance,
It was like the nectar of Immortals.
The first bowl washed the cobwebs from my mind -
The whole world seemed to sparkle.
A second cleansed my spirit
Like purifying showers of rain,
A third and I was one of the Immortals -
What need now for austerities
To purge our human sorrows?
Worldly people, by going in for wine,
Sadly deceive themselves.
For now I know the Way of Tea is real.
Chio Jen (Tang Dynasty)


A Cup of Tea
A cup of tea at the crack of dawn
Uplifts the spirit and inspires the heart.
A cup of tea after a meal
Clears the mouth and helps the stomach.
A cup of tea amid the bustle of life
Relieves parched throat and dispels vexation.
A cup of tea when you're overworked
Soothes muscle and bone and dissolves fatigue





A Loving Recipe for a Perfect Cup of Tea Anonymous
1 Willing friend who loves to sit and share
1 Grateful heart to have a friend that cares
1 Beautiful garden to show us God is near
Many wonderful memories of times shared throughout the years
Lots of smiles and laughter to brighten up our days
Many prayers that we prayed for each other along the way
I'm so blessed to have a friend like you to share in everything I do. For one special friend sharing a special cup of tea truly makes this a perfect recipe.

A toast to the grace of the pot,
ready at all time
To give up its emptiness
for the tea.
he Minister of Leaves

Each cup of tea represents an imaginary voyage. ~Catherine Douzel

Steam rises from a cup of tea
and we are wrapped in history,
inhaling ancient times and lands,
comfort of ages in our hands.
~Faith Greenbowl


I'm sending you love and tea,
To warm your winter's day.
Think of me as you pour your cup
And all the good things we would say.


If we could be together now
Instead of miles apart,
We'd sip our teas and memories,
The sweet warmth fills the heart.
- Susan Young

I wish we could sit down together,
And have a cup of tea,
But since we can't
When you have this one,
I hope you'll think of me.
If you are cold, tea will warm you; if you are too heated, it will cool you; if you are depressed, it will cheer you; if you are exhausted, it will calm you.
~William Gladstone


Afternoon Tea
My copper kettle
whistles merrily
and signals that
it is time for tea.


The fine china cups
are filled with the brew.
There's lemon and sugar
and sweet cream, too.


But, best of all
there's friendship, between you and me.
As we lovingly share
our afternoon tea.~Marianna Arolin

Mr.Tea
For that was his name
Never stops drinking tea
Tea was in his norms
Tea in the morning
Tea in the afternoon
Tea under the moon
Tea when nude.
His house is in shape of a ‘T’
With a swimming pool like a Tea
He asked to be buried in a tea cup
When death calls
He could not wait for death
Before he got drunk with summer tea to death.
By Sassy Jackline




"Tea Drinking" – Tea Poetry
June 6, 2009 by TeaEscapade
The first cup moistens my lips and throat;
The second cup breaks my loneliness;
The third cup searches my barren entrail but to find therein some thousand volumes of odd ideographs;
The fourth cup raises a slight perspiration-all the wrongs of life pass out through my pores; At the fifth cup I am purified;
The sixth cup calls me to the realms of the immortals.
The seventh cup-ah, but I could take no more! I only feel the breath of the cool wind that raises in my sleeves.
Where is Elysium? Let me ride on this sweet breeze and waft away thither.
~Lu T’ung

No comments:

Post a Comment