Jul 16, 2010

A Birthday, A Frypan, Yum Cha and Fish and Chips!


My husband took the day off work to enjoy his birthday. It was a lovely day (ignoring the very strong winds) and with kids back at school after the holidays, not too many children to avoid in the shopping centre!

We saw a movie first – we set the Chinesey theme for the day and saw Karate Kid. What a great movie. We loved the original and now we love this version too. Jaden Smith is fantastic and Jackie Chan is amazing. Actually I have never seen a Jackie Chan movie all the way through before – not really into his hi-jinks, but he is such a good straight actor. I hope he does more of that genre now. Jaden is very talented. Of course you can see lots of great movie roles in his future.

Next it was time for me to buy my husband his birthday present – he wanted and I bought a new fry pan! It’s the simple things! (He is the cook of the household).

Then to line up with 100s of others for Yum Cha at Landmark, Sunnybank. It is a favourite destination of ours. It is always busy. I don’t mind waiting, so long as I have a seat close to the fish tanks and I can watch the barramundi, crabs and huge lobsters swimming around before they decorate my plate!

One of the best things for me is the Tea at Yum Cha. We usually manage to drink over 2 pots in a meal between the 2 of us. I love its freshness, the way it cleanses my palate and the wonderful bitter flavour.

There is a certain etiquette to getting a new pot of tea. When you have finished your pot – or if the tea gets cold you leave the lid off the pot and at an angle on the top of the pot. This way the waiter is alerted to your need for a fresh pot! My cup didn’t ever get empty enough for me to read my leaves!!!

We didn’t really eat a lot at yum cha! My hubby had his usual – deep fried calamari; I had prawn dumplings and tofu and then we followed it with the ‘must have’ egg tarts – hot from the oven.

We waddled out feeling very satisfied!

Later in the evening we went to visit our daughter and our two oldest grandchildren for FISH AND CHIPS! This just happens to be my husband’s favourite food! We had a lovely little celebration including sharing a delicious Black Forest Cake!

All in all a lovely birthday – I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment